Augmented reality (AR) is a technology that enhances the real world by overlaying digital information, such as images, sounds, videos, 3d models or text through a camera of smart device. AR can help us to create immersive and interactive experiences that can enrich the learning process and functionality for university students. In this blog post, we will explore some of the uses of Augmented Reality in education, specifically in universities, and how Immersive Studio can help you implement AR solutions for your educational needs to help to innovate your university campus or curriculum.
AR in Education: Benefits for Universities
AR has the potential to transform the way universities learn and teach, by providing a rich and dynamic learning environment that can cater to different learning styles, preferences, and abilities. Below we explore some of the key benefits of Augmented Reality in education:
- Enhanced engagement and motivation: AR can make learning more fun and exciting, by adding an element of gamification, interactivity, and personalization. By bringing content off the page and allowing students to actually explore environments or topics they are learning about, overlayed with digital information which the students can interact with to find out more, allows content to be taught in a more meaningful and memorable way, with students motivated to explore and discover new things using devices they are familiar with.
- Improved understanding and retention: AR can help university students visualize complex concepts, processes and scenarios, by providing them with a layer of digital information overlaid ontop of a in a real world environment. Imagine students being guided through the use of complex piece of medical equipment or visualising a new piece of technology, where they can explore the machine in detail as if they were actually looking at it. Students can also manipulate and control the AR content, and receive immediate feedback, guidance and rewards, which can enhance their understanding and retention of the information.
- Increased collaboration and communication: AR can facilitate social and collaborative learning, by allowing students to share and exchange their AR experiences with others or gain rewards in the form of easter eggs for finding the correct answers to complex problem. Students can also work together on AR projects and develop their communication and teamwork skills which can extend past the school day and become part of their homework.
- Expanded access and inclusion: AR can provide access to learning resources and opportunities that may not be available otherwise, such as virtual field trips, simulations, and experiments, and wayfinding. AR can also support inclusive learning, by adapting to the needs and preferences of each student and providing them with customized and accessible AR content.
Immersive Studio: Your Partner for AR in Education
Immersive Studio is a company that specializes in creating and delivering AR solutions across various sectors, including education. We have a team of experts who can help you design, develop, and implement AR experiences across any platform that are tailored to your educational goals and needs.
Some of the AR solutions that we can offer for universities are:
- Large format media walls: We can create interactive content for large format media walls in the form of both educational content or information walls to inform students and guide them to further information, for example a health and wellbeing wall that students can interact with guiding them to the relevant information they need. These large format media walls enable access to a large number of students rather that just a few and content can either be static or interactive enabling students to tailor their learning experience. The content can be customized and updated according to the university’s vision and values, as well as students’ feedback and preferences and can also take in live camera data and represent this with digital overlays to communicate with the students in more engaging and exciting ways.
- Immersive rooms: Enhance the learning experience with an immersive room, with projection mapping and interactivity, where the students can experience static or interactive content in a 360-degree environment. The content can range from educational topics, such as history, geography, and science, to recreational topics, such as art, music, and sports.
- Wayfinding apps: Wayfinding apps are another use of AR technology that can help the students navigate a new area, such as the university campus, using AR markers and directions. The apps can also provide more information about the facilities, services, and events on the campus, and allow the students to interact with them.
- Interactive apps: We can create interactive apps for specific topics, such as math, physics, and biology, history where the students can use their tablet computers or phones to display either static or interactive content from handheld devices to build on information on screens/worksheets. The apps can help the students tackle more complex or abstract topics, with 3D or 2D informational overlays or 360 content, allowing them to explore a particular environment or object and be guided through the key information. The apps can also use object or text recognition, to provide further educational information when pointed at a particular place or object.
If you are interested in exploring the possibilities of AR in education and how Immersive Studio can help you implement it, please contact us today. We would love to hear from you. We are confident that we can help you create AR experiences that will enhance your curriculum and teaching and make a difference in your education. Contact us now to take the first step towards unlocking your business success! You can also drop us a message on Facebook, LinkedIn, or Instagram.